There was a chapel on the site of the current church in the seventeenth century. It measured 50 x 24 feet and was enlarged in 1774. The illustration below is from Henry Dowsett‘s book “Notes on Holcombe”. The chapel was roughly at the south-west corner of the present church. There was a rectory just outside the churchyard wall at the top of the adjacent field.
In 1853 the chapel was replaced by a new church building built in neo-Gothic style by Thomas Holt of Bury; a local lady, Mrs Sandiford contributed £500. It was not until 1866 that it formally became the parish church. The lych-gate was built as a memorial after the First World War. There are graves in the churchyard dating back to 1726 and a sundial dated 1753.
The church is an active one., and a very popular venue for weddings. Its web site provides more information (and some better pictures).