Higher House was the White Hart Inn until 1884. In those days it had a cockpit where cock-fighting, one of the popular village entertainments, was practiced . The area in front was used as the village green.
Since the inn closed it has been a private house. The Ainsworths who owned the bleach works near the entrance to Redisher Wood at Holcombe Brook lived there till 1934, after which it passed to Mrs Margaret (Peggy) Haes as a wedding present. She was the founder in 1967 of the riding school for the disabled which is higher up Moor Lane. Across the road, just to the right of the photo above is Higher House Barn, built in 1751. It is now residential, but was once used as a stable by Colonel Ainsworth.