The Shoulder of Mutton has a date stone of 1751, but the dressed stone facade is probably a remodelling of an older structure behind, remnants of which are visible at the south end of the building and at the rear. The pub used to be associated with cockfighting.
Apart from a year or so recently when it was closed, the Shoulder has been an important part of village life for several hundred years. It serves a wide variety of ales and also has a good menu. Its web site can be found here.
The sign was painted by David Swithenbank, a long-time resident of the village.